
My son is 7 1/2 years old and today as we headed off to church (it was only my son and I, as my husband and two daughters were all suffering from one malady or another), he told me that he loves Jesus with all of his heart and that he wanted to learn as much as he possibly can about his Savior. My heart leaped right out of my chest and a huge, never-leave-my-face smile appeared on my face. He told me that he wanted to attend the adult service instead of Children's Church, because he thought that he would learn more in this environment.
Our church allows anyone of any age that has accepted Jesus into their heart to participate in the Lord's Supper. My son asked if it would be okay to partake and I said that I would have to pray about it and see what God had to say on this matter. I spent time in prayer instead of singing during worship (Sorry God, but I am sure that you will forgive me) and God asked me to talk to my son and ask him a few questions.
- What does the Lord's Supper mean?
- Why do you want to partake in the Lord's Supper?
- Do you understand the consequences of partaking when you do not understand what is occurring?
- Do you want to do this because your friends who attend the Catholic Church are now taking communion or is there another reason?
To tell you the truth, I was scared to ask my son these questions. As a mom, we never want to hurt our children and I did not want to have to tell my son that he was not ready to partake, based upon how he answered the questions that I had been given.
I was amazed by the words that my son spoke, "God does not forgive me for the bad things that I do, because Jesus died. God sent His only son, Jesus, to the cross because He is a gracious, loving God. He gave up His only Son, to pay the penalty for our mistakes." I don't think that I could have phrased it any better than that. When I thought that he was just drawing and colouring during the sermon, he was actually listening.
It was with great pride in my heart (I know that pride is seen as a bad thing, but I'm sorry I was having a "proud mommy" moment) that I asked God if He thought my son was ready. He told me that he thought that Caleb was ready, but that I should continue to teach him throughout the service. I felt led to read to him from scripture the account of the Last Supper.
Luke 22:14-20 (NCV)
When the time came, Jesus and the apostles were sitting at the table. He said to them, "I wanted very much to eat this Passover meal with you before I suffer. I will not eat another Passover meal until it is given its true meaning in the Kingdom of God."
Then Jesus took a cup, gave thanks, and said, "Take this cup and share it among yourselves. I will not drink again from the fruit of the vine until God's kingdom comes."
Then Jesus took some bread, gave thanks, broke it, and gave it to the apostles, saying, "This is my body, which I am giving for you. Do this to remember me". In the same way, after supper, Jesus took the cup and said, "This cup is the new agreement that God makes with His people. This new agreement begins with my blood which is poured out to you.
No comments:
Post a Comment