Thursday, June 10, 2010

Scripture Reading and Quiet Time


During the 2010 Lenten season I wrote blog post on ways to memorize scripture and I have continued to learn and grow in this area. I have also been trying to figure out ways to make my quiet times with the Lord more effective in my life.


I have been reading the book "Chasing God and the Kids Too" by Cheryl R. Carter and I wholeheartedly suggest that anyone who has kids should delve into this book.
Here are some things that I have learned about Quiet Times with God:
  1. Quiet time is not about performing some systematic religious duty, but about cultivating a relationship with our Creator.
  2. It is a most personal matter.
  3. Sometimes we use our children and housework to drown out His voice because we get more affirmation from outward works than from the inward discipline of silence.
  4. You will never learn anything of substance in a crowd. (Note to self... it is great and well to attend church regularly, but God also wants us to come to Him when we are alone and things are quiet and we are able to listen for His voice)
  5. Too often our personal time with God is spent asking Him for things. For the next seven days, go to prayer without an agenda and watch what happens.

Taken from "Chasing God and the Kids Too" (pages 90, 95, 97, 107)

This is going to be particularly hard for me because I do not like being in total silence... not that I relish about noisy chaos, but a little sound around me is comforting.

"We ask the Lord questions out of Christian duty and religious tradition, but we really do not want to hear His true response. It takes time to quiet our own desires so we can hear God. That is why I call silence a discipline. We have to work at it daily, particularly in our culture, which regularly invades our quiet time. We need to practice being quiet before the Lord each day. Start out in little increments. Pray and ask the Lord to help you develop the discipline of silence." (Chasing God and the Kids, page 108)

We do not need to scream, yell, cry or wail to the Lord in order for our prayers to be heard. God is able to read what is in our hearts and will allow us to realize what is in our hearts, if it is what the Lord has prepared in advance how your life should be. Jesus spent time just being by Himself and that is what God is calling us to do as well.

Be still, and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10

No comments:

Post a Comment