Monday, August 2, 2010

Cast of Characters

I received this book courtesy of the Publisher via http://www.booksneeze.com/ for the purpose of review.


I have read previous books by Max Lucado, Minister of Writing and Preaching, Oak Hills Church in San Antonio, Texas and once again I was not disappointed. As I am such a fan of Max Lucado I thought that I would add links to Max and his church.


Max has taken 26 characters from the bible, some characters that are well-known and some that may not be known by most Christians.


At the beginning of each chapter, Mr. Lucado brilliantly gives a pertinent bible verse to help remind readers who the character is or gives them a sense of who they were. We are challenged to learn from the character and the example or non-example that he/she gives about how to live life/not live life. It is through the characters struggles, scandals, stumbles and mystery that Max causes us to learn a little more about ourselves.

The chapter on Mary, Martha and Lazarus , Your Place in God's Band, really spoke to me. As a former marching band member, his example of his life playing the tuba really got me stirred.

Two passages that really rallied with me in this chapter were:

"God gave Martha a bass drum of service. God gave Mary a flute for praise. And God gave Lazarus a trumpet. And he stood on center stage and played it.

God still gives trumpets. God still calls people from the pits. God still gives pinch-me-I'm-dreaming, too-good-to-be-true testimonies. But not everyone has a dramatic testimony. Who wants a band full of trumpets?" (page 62)



"If you are a Martha, be strengthened. God sees your service.
If you are a Mary, be encouraged. God receives your worship.
If you are a Lazarus, be strong. God honors your conviction.
But if you are a Judas, be warned. God see your selfishness." (page 63)

Mr. Lucado has also included some very thought-provoking questions at the end of each chapter to really get our minds thinking about ways in which we all may act as the character just presented.

All in all, this is another awesome book by Max Lucado. It would be great for a group bible study, to read straight-through cover to cover, or to read about the characters presented when we are reading his/her/their complete story during a personal devotional time. This is definitely a book that I will be keeping around and reading and reviewing over and over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment