I never meant to not write anything for over a month, no excuses... but I just haven't felt like I had anything to say. (Note to my friends that know me and my mouth... you know I always have something to say, I just mean that there was nothing that I wanted to share in cyber-space.)I have been very busy with work, the kids and catching up on some reading.
As I was reading the Book "Soon to Become a Major Motion Picture" by Donna Partow, I came across this Seventeenth-Century Nuns' Prayer that really spoke to my heart and the direction that my life is heading.
Lord, you know better than I know myself that I am growing older and will someday be old.
Keep me from the fatal habit of thinking I must say something on on every subject and on every occasion.
Release me from the craving to straighten out every body's affairs. Make me thoughtful, but not too moody. Helpful, but not bossy.
With my vast store of wisdom, it seems a pity not to use it all,
but you know, Lord, that I want a few friends at the end.
Keep my mind free from the endless recital of details;
give me wings to get to the point.
Seal my lips on my aches and pains.
They are increasing, and love of rehearsing them is becoming sweeter as the years go by.
I dare not ask for grace enough to enjoy the tales of others' pain, but help me to endure them with patience.
I dare not ask for improved memory, but for a growing humility and a lessening cocksureness when my memory seems to clash with the memories of others.
Teach me the glorious lesson that occasionally - I may be mistaken.
Keep me reasonably sweet.
I do not want to be a saint - some of them are so hard to live with. But a sour old person is one of the crowning works of the Enemy.
Give me the ability to see good things in unexpected places, and talents in unexpected people.
And give me, Lord, the grace to tell them so.
Amen.
Where to I even begin with explaining how this prayer spoke to me... well I guess it is best to start at the first stanza and go from there.
Keep me from the fatal habit of thinking I must say something on every subject and on every subject - Lord, you know that I can be extremely opinionated and want everyone know my point of view... give me the grace to be able to just sit and listen and wait for others to ask me what I feel about a given topic.
Proverbs 18:2 "Fools have no interest in understanding;
they only want to air their opinions."
Release me from the craving to straighten out every body's affairs. - Lord, give me a swift kick in the behind whenever I try to fix someone else before he/she asks for my help... sometimes I can be so block-headed that I can not see that sometimes people just need to get their thoughts off of their chest.
Seal my lips on my aches and pains. They are increasing, and love of rehearsing them is becoming sweeter as the years go by. I dare not ask for grace enough to enjoy the tales of others' pains, but help me to endure them with patience- Lately Lord, I have enjoyed trying to get sympathy from others, especially my family. Instead of admitting that I should have seen a dentist sooner, I cry and try and garner sympathy from my husband and kids. I have tried to make them feel like it is all their fault that I am in pain, because instead of paying for a dentist I bought them school clothes or a new summer beach toy. I try and make myself look like I have been completely selfless and caring about them, when all of this is due to my own laziness. After all, it takes time to locate a dentist that accepts my dental coverage and will direct bill and then there is the hassle of trying to book a time that does not conflict with my work schedule or my time at home.
As the Serenity Prayer says:
Lord, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I can not change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next. Amen. - Rienhold Niebuhr
Help me to accept any and all pain in my life as God's will and that I not stop trying to live my life to the best of my ability with God's help.
When it comes to others' pains, help me to be patient when they need to talk and willing to help them wherever and whenever I am able. Help me to discern Lord, when I am to sit still and listen and when I am to jump in and help. When I am in pain, I do not like to hear about the pain of others. But maybe Lord, you are trying to tell me something through others' tears. Maybe my life and my pain are not so bad after all... I can still go for walks with my family, I can still laugh when my children do something off-the wall and I still have the ability to wake up every morning and thank You Lord for bringing me through to another day.
Give me the ability to see good things in unexpected places, and talents in unexpected people. And give me, Lord, the grace to tell them so. - This is another area where I really falter Lord as You already know... when I get uptight or stressed or even when I am physically ill, I find it hard to see the good things in my life and in the lives of others around me. In fact, even when I am physically well, I have troubles recognizing how good I really have it and how wonderful the people that I share my days with really are. I neglect to tell my family every day how special they are to me and how much I value all of the creative and quirky things that they do. I don't take the time to listen to my children's stories unless I am a captive audience (maybe that is why they can never be silent in the car) and I certainly don't take the time lately to delve into what interests them. Lord, I have been so selfish and I ask that you would give me the strength to apologize to all those who I have hurt and to accept however they may react to my apology.
Hebrews 4:16 (AMP) " Let us then fearlessly and confidently and boldly draw near to the throne of grace (the throne of God's unmerited grace for us sinners), that we may receive mercy (for our failures) and find grace to help in good time for every need (appropriate help and well-timed help, coming just when we need it).
No comments:
Post a Comment