"Memorizing Scripture Via Osmosis - simply put your Bible on top of your head and either pour a pitcher of water over it or shower with the Bible on your head. The water will pick up the words of scripture that you need and will automatically allow them to soak into your brain... AMAZING!"
I only wish that it was this easy. For those of you who read yesterday's post, you know that memorizing anything has never been easy for me. Partially it is because I hate the repetition that most programs ask you to do... I want to memorize scripture with minimal effort! I know that is a terrible attitude to have! I can already hear my friends reprimanding me...
"Why do you always want to take the easy way out?"
"Anything worth doing is worth the hard work and effort that it takes!"
When I think about it, I am truly like a young child when it comes to scripture memorization... this got me thinking, maybe a method that is used by children would work for me to memorize scripture. Even better would be for me to invite my children to work at memorizing scripture with me... maybe even make it a competition! My older two children attend a weekly Kid's Group that focuses on scripture memorization, so they are already ahead of me in this task and I haven't even asked them to join me yet!
Here are some ways that I have found that may be helpful for me to memorize scripture:
- Memorize Word for Word. It is important to be accurate. Just getting "the gist" is okay, but small errors can lead to misinterpretation of the scriptures.
- Put memory verses to music.
- Read the verses that you are trying to memorize and record them to a CD. Listen to them as you go about your day.
- Use post-it notes to place verses that you are trying to memorize throughout your house. Put them in spots that you will see them frequently.
- Read it, say it, write it, visualize it, practice it!
- Find a Bible memory verse accountability partner that will keep you on task.
- Make sure you continue to read through the bible and not just read the passage that you are trying to memorize. The more times you read a verse or chapter, the better you will be able to remember it.
Thy Word have I hid in my heart, that I might not sin against Thee. Psalm 119:11
No comments:
Post a Comment