Anyways, on to another spiritual discipline: PRAYER. Anyone who knows me well, knows that I am terrible at remembering basically anything for any period of time. I am terrible at remembering names, remembering birthdays or even remembering what I have to do on a given day; without writing it down. That got me thinking... we are called to read scripture, study it and memorize passages that we may need to recall during times of need. How could I possibly memorize passages, if I can't even remember names and birthdays? I am on a mission, God willing, to become one of those Christians who have the word in their heart and are able to recall passages at times when the exact words will be of help and/or comfort to them.
The Internet is a wonderful thing... isn't it! There is so much information on Scripture Memorization available online with just a few key strokes and a pressing of the ENTER key. There are so many websites that promise that if you do x-y-z in that exact order, you WILL be able to memorize scripture.
Before I discuss how to memorize scripture and give methods that I will be trying, I think it is important to talk a little about why it is important to memorize scripture.
- Study and memorization is a command from God
- His Word is a delight to the soul
- Keeping us from sin and folly
- It prepares you for a life of productive Christian labor and growth
(Excerpted from www.memoryverses.org/why.htm )
Let's investigate this further shall we?
STUDY AND MEMORIZATION IS A COMMAND FROM GOD
- Westminster Shorter Catechism of 1674 - the first question is "What is the chief end of man? The response is simple and beautiful. "Man's chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy Him forever.
- My purpose on earth is to glorify God in everything that I do, but I can not do this unless I obey His Word.
- Unless I know God's Word and understand it, I will NEVER be able to obey it.
Deuteronomy 6:6-8 AMP "And these words which I am commanding your this day shall be [first] in your [own] minds and hearts; then You shall whet and sharpen them so as to make them penetrate, and teach and impress them diligently upon the [minds and] hearts of your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down and when you rise up. "
Joshua 1:7-8 AMP "Only you be strong and very courageous, that you may do according to all the law which Moses My servant commanded you. Turn not from it to the right hand or to the left, that you may prosper wherever you go. This Book of the Law shall not depart out of your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, that you may observe and do according to all that is written in it. For then you shall make your way prosperous, and then you shall deal wisely and have good success."
Colossians 3:16 AMP " Let the word [spoken by] Christ (the Messiah) have its home [in your hearts and minds] and dwell in you in [all its] richness, as you teach and admonish and train one another in all insight and intelligence and wisdom [in spiritual things, and as you sing] psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, making melody to God with [His] grace in your hearts"
KEEPING US FROM SIN AND FOLLY
If the Word of God is in my heart, I will be able to use it when facing temptation. God's Word teaches us how to resist sin, why you should and must do so, and what will happen if I don't. The Word teaches us how to do what God requires of us.
IT PREPARES YOU FOR A LIFE OF PRODUCTIVE CHRISTIAN LABOR AND GROWTH
- We are told to be prepared to answer questions concerning our faith in Christ
1 Peter 3:15 AMP "But in your hearts set Christ apart as holy [and acknowledge Him] as Lord. Always be ready to give a logical defense to anyone who asks you to account for the hope that is in you, but do it courteously and respectfully."
- Having the Word in my heart will allow me to encourage and teach others.
2 Timothy 2:13-17 AMP "If we are faithless [do not believe and are untrue to Him], He remains true (faithful to His Word and His righteous character), for He can not deny himself. Remind [the people] of these facts and [solemnly] charge them in the presence of the Lord to avoid petty controversy over words, which does no good but upsets and undermines the faith of the hearers. Study and be eager and do your utmost to present yourself to God approved (tested by trial), a workman who has not cause to be ashamed, correctly analyzing and accurately dividing [rightly handling and skillfully teaching] the Word of Truth. But avoid all empty (vain, useless, idle) talk for it will lead people into more and more ungodliness. And their teaching [will devour; it] will eat its way like a cancer or spread like gangrene."
- Knowing and using the Word teaches me right from wrong.
- It can increase my ability to distinguish truth from error in doctrine
- It will help my prayer life.
- Knowing God's Word will allow me to study the Bible more effectively.
- If I know the scriptures I can meditate on them anytime, no matter where I am.
- It will help me stand firm against Satan's attacks.
Tomorrow I will start looking at finding a method that will work for me with regards to memorizing scripture. But I would love anyone who feels the desire to leave a message letting me know why they find scripture memorization is important to them.
No comments:
Post a Comment