Wednesday, June 23, 2010

How Easy Is It to Spend Time In The Word

I don't know what has been happening to me lately, but I am finding it increasingly difficult to spend time in the Word. It is not that I don't want to spend the time, but I have become very adept at coming up with reasons for not do so:

  • I don't have the time.
  • I'm serious... I just don't have the time
  • My kids just won't leave me alone and I can't concentrate with all of the racket that they are making.
  • My house is a mess... I have to clean it up before it gets condemned by the Health Authorities.
  • I'll just spend a few more minutes on Facebook and catch up on what my friends are up to... after all, if I don't know what they have been up to and I won't know how to pray for them.

And so on, and so on (you get the picture).

Basically I need a big time attitude adjustment (they are not just for kids anymore).

As I continue reading through "Chasing God and the Kids Too," I have been thinking a lot about how I have been stepping away from the disciplines that helps to keep us close to God.

  1. Reading the Word
  2. Meditating on the Word
  3. Memorizing Scripture
  4. Praying throughout the day.

I have been convicted... although I attend services almost every Sunday, I have not been working very hard at spending time with God during the other 6 days of the week.

Jesus doesn't call us to be in His presence only on Sundays, but every moment of everyday. Cheryl R. Carter states some Hindrances to Effective Biblical Meditation (page 84)

  • Judging the Word instead of reading and applying it. We assume we know what all Scripture means because we have heard it all before; therefore, we don't expect to get something out of our meditation time.
  • Listening to what other have told us Scripture means rather than reading it for ourselves.
  • Having wrong priorities and not understanding the importance of this spiritual discipline in our Christian growth.
  • Expecting instant results. Meditation is a slow process and yields the most results when done consistently. Those who choose a lifestyle of meditation will receive the most results.
  • Having a worldly mind-set. Meditation requires quietness and stillness. We must stop our pursuit of money and rush of activity. At times, we may unconsciously value the world's way over time alone with God, because spending time with God requires faith and trust. While we may trust God, we may not trust ourselves to really glean from the meditation process.

But His delight is in the law of the Lord, and on His law he meditates day and night. Psalm 1:2

No comments:

Post a Comment